Terms & Policies
Last Revision: April 1,2019
We’re psyched that you chose to book with Honest Camper (“we”, “us”, “Honest Camper”).
These conditions outline your responsibilities relating to your rental, and limits and waives your rights in some circumstances. It is important for your own protection that you read and understand these conditions.
These conditions form a part of the rental agreement (the “Rental Agreement”) between Honest Camper and yourself (the “Guest”) relating to the vehicle that you selected for rental (the “Vehicle”). Additional conditions of the Rental Agreement include those that you agreed to on the booking engine of the Honest Camper website.
1. Compliance with Laws. While the Vehicle is in the Guest’s possession, or is rented to the Guest under this agreement, the Guest shall comply with all the laws and regulations that govern (a) the driving, parking, storage and transportation of the Vehicle, or (b) the movement of the Vehicle, or any person or thing that is being transported in the Vehicle across any national, provincial, state or jurisdictional border. The Guest must be 25 years old or older at the time of Rental.
2. Insurance. Honest Camper provides insurance [NTD: up to what amount? Should have more detail here] coverage for fire / theft / vandalism, collision, 3rd party liability and windshield damage. It is up to the Guest to obtain any insurance coverage for collision or liability should they desire it.
NOTE: THE GUEST AGREES TO ASSUME PERSONAL LIABILITY FOR INJURY TO PERSONS AND DAMAGE TO PROPERTY WHERE THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN IN AN UNAUTHORIZED AREA
WITHOUT HONEST CAMPER’S PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL, OR IN A PROHIBITED TRAVEL AREA (SEE CLAUSE 13) OR IS USED IN A MANNER NOT PERMITTED BY CLAUSE 10. THE GUEST MAY BE COMMITTING A CRIMINAL OFFENSE BY DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE.
3. Guest’s and Others’ Property. The Guest acknowledges that the Vehicle does not constitute a secure place and is not equipped for the transport or storage of valuable items. Honest Camper recommends that the Guest should have, and maintain in force for so long as the Vehicle is in the Guest’s possession, the Guest’s own insurance against loss of or damage to any property of the Guest (or of any person whose property is in or on the Vehicle with the Guest’s express or implied consent) that is in or on the Vehicle, and to rely on such insurance, and not on any rights against Honest Camper in order to obtain compensation for any loss of or damage to any such property. Honest Camper shall not be liable for loss or damage to any property of the guest (or of any other person whose property is in or on the Vehicle with the Guest’s express or implied consent) that is in or on the Vehicle either before or after its return to Honest Camper, whether or not such loss or damage arises from, or is contributed to by, the negligence of Honest Camper or its agents, servants, or employees. The Guest shall assume all risk of such loss or damage, waives all claims therefore against Honest Camper and shall defend, indemnify and hold Honest Camper harmless from all claims arising out of such loss or damage.
4. Safeguard Vehicle. The Guest will take all reasonable measures to safeguard the Vehicle against theft and damage. The Guest shall read and observe all operating instructions and precautions that are posted in or on the Vehicle or supplied to the Guest by Honest Camper. The Guest acknowledges that there is a $1,000 security deposit (the “Security Deposit”) required at the time of pick-up. This is refundable less any of the following:
Damage (exterior and/or interior of vehicle; mechanical or engine damage caused by the renter; broken or lost equipment/gear)
Insurance Deductible payable in the event of an occurrence
$300 deductible for fire / theft / vandalism
$500 for at-fault collision
$200 windshield deductible
Excessive Cleaning required including from pet or smoke odors. ($150)
Lost or Broken Equipment/Gear
Refueling (Cost of fuel plus $25 inconvenience fee)
Extra Day(s) (Daily rate for your booking)
Extra Mileage charges ($0.35 per km)
Scratched van wrap ($250)
Scuffed rims ($50 per tire)
Late drop-off (Full days rental charged for dropping off after noon)
The Security Deposit will be returned less any charges if applicable, in the same format it was received. We try to make every effort to return the security deposit at time of vehicle return, however we reserve the right to return the security deposit up to 10 days after vehicle rental returned.
5. Maintenance. The Guest is responsible while the Vehicle is in the Guest’s possession for ensuring that the Vehicle is prudently operated and maintained and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, for ensuring that oil, fluid and coolant levels in the Vehicle’s engine, braking, steering and other mechanical and hydraulic systems are maintained at recommended levels. The Guest is responsible for following prudent operating procedures appropriate to weather conditions (i.e. freezing water lines in sub-zero temperatures and overheating mechanical components in cases of extreme heat). The Guest shall be responsible for the cost of all related mechanical and Vehicle repairs resulting from the Guest’s failure to fulfill these responsibilities.
6. Repairs. The Guest may not proceed with repairs to the Vehicle unless authorized by Honest Camper, and shall not, in any event, allow any lien to be placed upon it without Honest Camper’s consent, and the Guest will pay any and all unauthorized charges in connection with any repairs.
7. Use of Vehicle and Breakdowns. Our vehicles are not permitted to be used off-road – please see the section below on Prohibited Travel Areas. All vehicles travel with roadside assistance If roadside assistance is required and it is found to be required as a result of the renter, all financial costs associated will be the Guest’s responsibility. Prior to pick-up, all renters are given a brief orientation video of how to monitor fluid levels and gauges. A check sheet is also reviewed with the renter for all gear on board and any pre-existing dents to the vehicle are noted. It is the renter’s responsibility to check all fluid levels and monitor gauges during the rental period. If it is found that the vehicle was not monitored or fluid levels kept topped up, all costs associated with any potential damage will be the renter’s responsibility. No Smoking is permitted inside the vehicle at any time. Pets are allowed however we ask that they not get up on the seats or beds.
Roadside assistance is included with your rental. In the event of a breakdown, Guest agrees to contact Honest Camper as soon as possible. Note that the roadside assistance is limited to accessible roads and areas. If you choose to explore more remote areas, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for costs associated with assistance. If your vehicle breaks down with a simple repair, we try to have it repaired as quickly as possible to get you back on the road. Call us first. If the issue is not deemed to be a simple repair, Honest Camper will attempt to provide a back-up vehicle. If a back-up vehicle is not available and your vehicle is not repairable in a reasonable window of time (generally speaking, 24 hours), Honest Camper will refund the remaining days of your rental fees. Honest Camper will not be responsible for additional costs associated to adjusting your plans in the event your vehicle is not repairable for the remainder of your rental. If you are outside of the prescribed area, or are deemed to be on a non-approved road, all costs associated with towing, repair shall be borne by the renter. Honest Camper is the sole determinant of non-approved roads or other unapproved use of the vehicle. Shoulders and unapproved campsites are generally non-approved and “use at your own risk”. Our vans come with additional camping equipment – both fixed within the vehicle and supplied as part of our service. In the event one of these systems fails, we reserve the right to not repair during your rental or offer a replacement van.
8. Substitutions. The Vehicle may, at Honest Camper’s sole discretion, be an equivalent or higher-rated Vehicle than the Vehicle for which a reservation is made by the Guest. Where there is a substitution or upgrading as referred to in the previous sentence, there will be no extra charge to the Guest. Where Honest Camper substitutes a Vehicle that rents at a lower rate than the Vehicle that is reserved by the Guest, Honest Camper’s only responsibility arising from such a substitution is to charge the Guest at the lower applicable rate and to make any refunds or adjustments that may be due in the Guest’s favor. Honest Camper does not guarantee the availability of a particular type of Vehicle that may be reserved by the Guest, and does not have liability to the Guest (except as specifically stated in this clause) arising from Honest Camper substituting a Vehicle of a different category in place of a Vehicle that the Guest reserves.
9. Incidents: Damage, Accidents, Theft and Vandalism. The Guest shall immediately report any incident, theft or vandalism involving the Vehicle or its passengers to Honest Camper and to the Police in the jurisdiction where the incident takes place and deliver to Honest Camper or its insurer every process, pleading, notice or paper of any kind received by the guest or any driver of the Vehicle or its passengers relating to any claim, suit or proceeding in connection with any incident or event involving the Vehicle. Neither the Guest nor any driver of the Vehicle shall aid or abet the assertion of any claim, suit or proceeding and shall cooperate fully with Honest Camper and its insurers investigating and defending the same. FAILURE TO REPORT ANY INCIDENT WITHIN 24 HOURS WILL VOID ANY INSURANCE PROTECTION PROVIDED BY HONEST CAMPER. GUESTS WHO HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN ANY INCIDENT AND DROP OFF THE VEHICLE WITH NO WRITTEN ACCIDENT REPORT AND POLICE FILE NUMBER WILL VOID THEIR INSURANCE COVERAGE AND WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COST OF ALL REPAIRS OR REPLACEMENTS RESULTING FROM DAMAGES.
10. Use of Vehicle. To the extent permitted by law, any use of the Vehicle as prohibited below will (1) breach this agreement, (2) void any limitation of Guest’s responsibility for loss of or damage to the Vehicle, (3) make Guest fully responsible for actual damages, costs and attorney fees, loss of use, diminished value resulting from this breach, and (4) void any insurance protection provided under this agreement subject to applicable law.
The Guest shall not permit the Vehicle to be operated or driven (a) by any person who is not the holder of a current driver’s license that authorizes the holder to drive the Vehicle in the jurisdiction where the Vehicle is located; (b) for the transportation of person or property for hire, expressed or implied; (c) by any person who is under 25 years of age, or who has given Honest Camper a false or fictitious name or age or address; (d) by a person other than the Guest or a person who is designated in this Agreement as an authorized driver; (e) in any competitive event; (f) to push or tow any Vehicle, nor attach any carrier or object to the Vehicle; (g) in a Prohibited Travel Area; (h) by any person while under the influence of intoxicants or drugs or for the illegal transportation of intoxicants or drugs or other prohibited or restricted substance; (i) for any illegal purpose or commission of a crime; (j) who loads Vehicle beyond its capacity; (k) who allows more passengers than the vehicle has seatbelts for or designed to carry; and (l) when use will cause damage to the Vehicle (i.e. warning light is on, flat tire, steam rising from engine, etc.). These restrictions are cumulative and each of them apply to every use, operation or driving of the Vehicle.
11. Smoking. Our Vehicles are smoke free. Detection of any smoke related odors or damage will result in additional charges. Do not smoke in the vehicle and avoid camp fire smell by keeping all doors and windows closed when near campfires.
12. Pets. Pets are allowed, but they are not allowed on the seats or beds. Excessive pet hair as deemed by Honest Camper, found on the seats or beds shall result in additional cleaning charges.
13. Unauthorized Areas and Prohibited Travel Areas. Unless Honest Camper has given prior approval in writing, the Guest will be responsible for all damages including any towing fees incurred by Honest Camper if the Vehicle is operated on an unpaved road, non-public road, not a primary highway, or any area that Honest Camper, acting reasonably, deems to be an unauthorized area (either, an “Unauthorized Area” or a “Prohibited Travel Area”). DRIVING IN PROHIBITED TRAVEL AREAS IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN AT ALL TIMES. The Guest shall pay such additional charges as may be levied by Honest Camper in cases where the Vehicle is driven in a Prohibited Travel Area or Unauthorized Area, and these charges may vary depending on whether Honest Camper’s consent to drive in an Unauthorized Area is obtained. Whether or not Honest Camper’s consent is obtained, the Guest shall also pay the cost of replacing parts (including, without limitation, tires) and repairing damage attributable to driving on unpaved or non-public roads, or to exposure of the Vehicle in freezing or excessive heat.
14. Payment of Charges and Bookings Generally. Rates are subject to change without notice and a tax rate of 5% GST, 7% PST, and $1.50/day (BC Rental Vehicle Tax) will apply in addition to the rental fees. Rates are quoted in Canadian Dollars.
Guest will pay a 50% deposit made by Visa, MasterCard, or Amex is required at the time you make your reservation. You're booking is confirmed once this is received. Please refer to the Cancellation Policy if you need to cancel within the allotted time period. All camper rentals require 30 days cancellation notice. Bookings are 2-nights minimum. A security deposit of $1000 CDN is done at pick-up. Security deposit is refunded within 10 days post drop-off if there are no additional charges. Balance of rental is processed at pick-up. Calculated as the total invoice amount, plus your Security Deposit. Any additional charges are processed within 10 days post drop-off of the Vehicle.
We detail each van in between rentals, but an excessively dirty van will incur an additional $150 cleaning fee. This will include any pet or smoking odors. All vehicles are to be drop-off with a full tank of fuel. Any vehicle not dropped off refueled will be charged for the fuel accordingly and a $25 inconvenience fee.
On the return date, we charge a full day’s rental rate if vehicle is returned past noon.
Rebates for longer rentals get applied with the return of the security deposit. They are not categorized as refunds and as such, the renter does not receive tax back on these days. They are simply monetary incentives and rewards for booking longer trips:
Book 7 days, rebate of the value of 1 night before tax
Book 14 days, rebate of the value of 2 nights before tax
Book 21 days, rebate of the value of 3 nights before tax
Book 28 days, rebate of the value of 4 nights before tax
Book 35 days, rebate of the value of 5 nights before tax
The full amount for your rental is charged on the week of pick-up, and rebates are applied upon the return of the security deposit. Guests who have not paid in full at the time of pick-up, will not be allowed to start their trip.
The Guest shall pay to Honest Camper on demand, all time and distance, service, minimum and other charges, at the rates shown or computed as provided in the Rental Agreement confirmed between the Guest and Honest Camper at the time of booking (which is generally online using the Honest Camper website). If the Guest has directed charges be billed to another person and such person fails to make payment when due, the guest shall pay such charges. Honest Camper may retain the deposit as provided in this agreement to cover any amount due or may become due hereunder. The Guest and any person to whom, with Honest Camper’s consent, the guest expressly directs the charges incurred under this Rental Agreement to be billed are jointly and severally responsible (solidarity in Quebec) for payment of all such charges. The Guest represents that the Guest is authorized to direct such charges to be billed to that person. Charges not paid on time, as required by this Agreement, will be subject to a late payment fee, as defined in clause 21. Unless Honest Camper agrees to accept payment by use of a credit card, payment for all charges under this agreement are due in cash at the completion of the rental. Charges not known to Honest Camper at that time are payable by the Guest to whom they are to be billed immediately upon receipt of an invoice for such charges and the Guest hereby agrees that his credit card can and will be charged. The payment of charges by use of an acceptable credit card is governed by the terms of the agreement covering the use of such card. IF YOU USE A CREDIT CARD TO PAY FOR CHARGES, YOU AUTHORIZE HONEST CAMPER TO RESERVE CREDIT WITH THE CARD ISSUER IN AN EQUAL AMOUNT TO ALL ESTIMATED CHARGES AND TO PROCESS AN APPROPRIATE VOUCHER FOR THOSE CHARGES AT THE TIME OF RENTAL. Honest Camper may audit all charges. If any errors are found, the Guest will pay the corrected charges. If payment was by credit card, the Guest authorizes Honest Camper to correct such charges with the card issuer. Honest Camper will notify the Guest of any corrections.
15. Distance Charges. The distance calculated in kilometres, which the Vehicle has been driven while it is in the Guest’s possession, shall be determined by reference to the Vehicle’s odometer. If the speedometer or odometer is broken, or shows signs of having been tampered with, the Guest shall pay for repair or replacement of the speedometer or odometer together with a rental charge per kilometre based on an average daily charge per kilometre calculated by reference to Honest Camper’s experience with similar rentals, or based on actual kilometres travelled as determined by the tracking device installed in each Vehicle.
16. Tickets/Fines. The Guest is liable for all parking and traffic violations, toll fees and fines, and authorizes Honest Camper to pay parking tickets immediately, but email notification and allow three days for Guests to provide proof of payment photo produced tickets (eg: radar) and then charge the Guest’s credit card for all related costs including an administration fee as incurred by Honest Camper to pay such charges on the Guest’s behalf without further notice. Without limitation under any other provision of the Rental Agreement, the Guest shall be solely liable for and shall indemnify and hold Honest Camper harmless from all fines, penalties and forfeitures arising from a breach by the Guest of any statute, law, ordinance, rule, regulation, or insurance policy provision that is applicable to the Vehicle or to the Guest’s possession, use, driving, parking, storage, or transportation of the Vehicle.
17. Accessories. The Guest acknowledges receipt of accessories as indicated in their Rental Agreement and will pay the cost of replacing equipment lost or damaged upon return of the Vehicle to Honest Camper.
18. Pick-up and Return of Vehicle. The Guest may pick up the vehicle Noon - 5pm on the date of pick-up. The Guest must drop-off the vehicle at or before noon on the date of drop-off in the same condition as when received by the Guest, ordinary wear and tear excepted. Should the Vehicle be returned to a location other than specified on the Rental Agreement, the Guest agrees to pay the applicable one-way charge, or the cost of returning the Vehicle to the designated rental station, whichever is greater.
19. Return in Clean Condition. The Guest shall return the Vehicle in a clean or may have to reimburse Honest Camper for cleaning costs and a minimum charge of $150.
20. Drop-off Charges. Charges levied under this Agreement are not subject to reduction and the Guest is not entitled to a credit when the Vehicle is returned earlier than the drop off date specified on the rental agreement. There will also be no refund on any portion of unused, prepaid kilometres or for guest cell phone charges. If the vehicle is returned with more fuel than at pick up, the Guest will not be refunded for the cost of the additional fuel.
21. Late Return. In the event the Vehicle is returned after noon on the return date, the Guest will pay Honest Camper for an extra day of rental.
22. Credit Card Authorization. The Guest authorizes Honest Camper to hold a credit card authorization as security for payment of any amount payable by the Guest under this Agreement, and to complete the imprints by adding the totals of any charges or amounts payable to Honest Camper by the guest and to process the completed imprints for payment by the Guest’s credit card company or bank.
23. Return on Demand. Honest Camper may demand the return of the Vehicle at any time and, if in Honest Camper’s judgment such demand may not be complied with, or if there is any delay in compliance, Honest Camper may forthwith repossess the Vehicle by use of any lawful means, without prior written warning to the Guest or the Guest’s credit card
company or bank.
Honest Camper reserves the right to cancel a reservation at any time (including at pick-up) due to natural disasters, changes in business conditions, unforeseen natural occurrences, or other situations that would make renting a van unsafe. This includes but is not limited to a Guest showing up intoxicated or otherwise unable to safely operate the vehicle. In the event of an Honest Camper initiated cancellation, a full refund will be issued.
24. Repossession. If this agreement contains any false statement provided by the Guest, or if the Guest omits to make known to Honest Camper any information concerning the Guest or the Guest’s intentions regarding the Vehicle that the Guest may reasonably be taken to know is material to Honest Camper when Honest Camper is considering renting the Vehicle to the Guest, or if the Guest is in breach of any provision of this Agreement, Honest Camper may forthwith repossess the Vehicle by use of any lawful means, without prior warning to the Guest and terminate this Agreement.
25. Lawsuits. The Guest shall permit Honest Camper or its insurers and their counsel to have the sole and exclusive conduct in the name and on behalf of the Guest, and the cost of Honest Camper or its insurers, of the defense of all lawsuits and proceedings that may be instituted against the Guest arising out of the Guest’s use, possession, driving, parking, storage or transportation of the Vehicle, and any counterclaim that may be made by the Guest in any such lawsuits and proceedings. The right of Honest Camper and its insurers to conduct the said lawsuits and proceedings shall include the sole and exclusive right to settle or abandon any such lawsuits or proceedings, and enter into binding agreement, or give good discharges, on behalf of the Guest for the purpose of entering into any settlement of, or abandoning, any such lawsuits or proceedings. The Guest shall co-operate fully with Honest Camper its insurers in taking all steps and in providing and obtaining all information and evidence that may be deemed necessary or desirable by Honest Camper or its insurers for the purpose of the said lawsuits or proceedings and the conduct, settlement or abandonment thereof. The Guest hereby irrevocably appoints Honest Camper, or its said insurers, to be the true and lawful attorneys of the Guest to execute all documents and do or omit to do all such acts and things as the said attorneys may consider to be necessary or desirable in the circumstances in order to give effect to the rights conferred by this clause on Honest Camper and its said insurers, and the power of attorney hereby conferred is deemed to be coupled with an interest.
26. Indemnity. Honest Camper is not responsible for any loss, injury, or damage to person or property from any equipment rented from Honest Camper including, but not limited to, the vehicle rental. The Guest shall defend, indemnify and hold Honest Camper harmless from and against any and all losses, liabilities, damages, injuries, claims, demands, cost and expenses, arising out of or connected with the possession or use of the Vehicle while the Vehicle is in the Guest’s possession, including but not limited to any and all claims or liabilities arising out of the abandonment, conversion, concealment or unauthorized sale of the Vehicle by the Guest or the Guest’s drivers, agents or employee, or confiscation or seizure of the Vehicle by reason of any illegal or improper use of the Vehicle.
AFTERMARKET, FOLD DOWN SEATS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED EACH HONEST CAMPER MERCEDES BENZ SPRINTER (THE “SPRINTER”). GUEST ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THE SPRINTER IS NOT OFFICIALLY CATEGORIZED AS BEING RATED FOR PASSENGERS IN THE REAR. BY ACCEPTING THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, YOU SHALL DEFEND, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HONEST CAMPER HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL LOSSES, LIABILITIES, DAMAGES, INJURIES, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, COST AND EXPENSES, ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE POSSESSION OR USE OF THE SPRINTER WHILE THE SPRINTER IS IN THE GUEST’S POSSESSION.
27. No Agency. Neither the Guest nor any other driver of the Vehicle shall be, or represent him or herself to be, the agent, servant or employee of Honest Camper for any reason or for any purpose.
28. Governing Law. This Agreement is governed by the law in force in the Province of British Columbia and the Guest and Honest Camper irrevocably submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of British Columbia.
29. Severability. If any provision (the “Invalid Provision”) of this Agreement is void or unenforceable under the law applicable in any jurisdiction, the Invalid Provision shall be deemed to be severable from the remaining provisions of this agreement, which shall constitute a valid and binding agreement in that jurisdiction after deletion of the Invalid Provision. The existence of an Invalid Provision under the laws applicable in a jurisdiction does not affect the validity and enforceability of all the provisions of this Agreement (including the Invalid Provision) in any other jurisdiction where the Invalid Provision is not void or unenforceable.
30. Multiple Units. Where the Vehicle comprises a truck and camper or other Vehicles that are designed so that they may be physically separated in normal use, the provisions of this Agreement apply to each Vehicle separately and to both Vehicles taken together as the circumstances may permit. Truck and camper rentals may not be separated during the rental period and the Guest is responsible to a penalty of $500 and all related costs due to damage if this occurs.
31. Devices. Devices rented from Honest Camper are to be returned to the front counter upon drop off of the Vehicle. In the event a device or any accessory (e.g. suction cup, USB cable, charging cable, etc.) is lost or damaged, full replacement cost will be charged. Honest Camper endeavours to provide the most current maps available from the GPS supplier, however assumes no responsibility and will not compensate for any expenses or charges (e.g. extra fuel, extra kilometres, etc.) incurred resulting from the Guest’s use of out of date or incorrect maps.
32. Tracking Device. The Vehicle you are renting may be equipped with a tracking device that uses technology to enable Honest Camper and our financial partners to better manage and protect the Vehicles. Please note that they are able to monitor the location, mileage and trip history of Vehicles. We respect your privacy and we will not share any of your personal information with anyone.
33. Child Seat Rentals. The guest acknowledges that a child safety car seat is designed for use in a motor vehicle, but not necessarily recreational motor vehicles, and its use will help reduce the risk of some types of injuries to the user in the event of a motor vehicle collision, incident or impact but recognizes that serious injury or death can result from both low and high-speed collisions, incidents, or impacts, even when a child safety seat is used.
34. Cancellations. Cancellations must be made via written request, including booking reference number, to email@example.com. If cancellation is before 30 days of your departure date, the deposit paid is refunded. If cancellation is less than 30 days of your departure date or a no show on your departure date, no portion of the deposit is refunded.
35. Changes to These Terms. We reserve the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time without notice.
36. Travel Suggestions. Honest Camper may provide some travel suggestions based on a Guest’s proposed itinerary. The Guest will not hold Honest Camper responsible for guaranteeing the quality of our travel suggestions or route recommendations.